Thursday, July 22, 2004

a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day
 
As the title suggests, today sucked. I got interviewed by the CBC, which was cool, but a severe pain in the ass. It was hot and I was in costume all day with an interviewer and a camerawoman telling me to do things over and over. This whole process was made more difficult by the fact that my boss needed to be near me all the time to make sure that they didn't ask me anything about the potential strike that's coming up for the union. Sigh.

By midafternoon they had decided that they were finished with me, and so after stoking the fires for a bit I was allowed to take twenty minues for lunch. We had a shortened lunch and no breaks today which was hard in itself.  So I was headed to lunch when the interview guy, Richard, came bounding up the hill at me to say that they had changed their minds and they did indeed want another shot. It was a street clothes shot so I had to change and book it to another part of the fort. They did about four takes of this shot and then took about four more because they wanted a shot of my tattoo. They finished up and thanked me for my time. By that point my boss had arrived and they thanked her too. After that they packed up their gear and left.

Then my supervisor calls me over to the side and yells at me. She was so angry that I had gotten filmed by them without her being present. On a scale of one to pissed she was past boiling point. So she laid into me for about ten minutes, told me to get back into my costume and get back to work.

She wasn't wrong in telling me off, but it still sucks getting yelled at.  

After I'd been working for a while she came over and pulled me aside again and asked me to tell her everything I'd told them in the interview. Which was absolutely nothing. There was no interview, they didn't ask me any questions. But her managers were all scared that I'd be talking about this strike. When I told her that I hadn't said anything, let alone anything I wasn't supposed to say, she countered by asking me why I had a mic on then.  How am I supposed to know? Why would I lie to her anyway?
 
She then informed me that all the students had a meeting with her and her supervisor at three thirty.
 
Great.
 
We got to the meeting and in addition to a through review of how we've been doing on the site. We all got briefed on 'What Happens When Everyone Else Goes On Strike'. So after explaining to us our (nonexistant) role in the conflict, the manager passed us each an envelope. In it is the letter that authorizes us to cross the picket line if the manager tells us to.
 
I started crying. I can't bear the thought of crossing a picket line, even if I'm not a part of this union. The interpreters have been giving us serious glances and telling us not to cross their picket line if job action happens. I like the interpreters here and I support what they're doing. I know that they would resent the students and our supervisor if we crossed the line. And a little dipshit piece of paper isn't going to change that. The managers are kidding themselves if they think it will.
 
 After the meeting, one of my coworkers wanted to know what the big deal was. After explaining a bit about picket lines and what the Parks union was after, I also said that it was basically against everything I had been taught. I said it would be like her boss telling her to go to a store and steal.  
 
I didn't even get my frigging lunch break.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home