Tuesday, October 09, 2007

how did I do that in grade four?
The image “http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/d/de/New_Yorker_Cover_Nov_8_04.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

When I was in grade four I didn't have friends, I had books.

This has to be the story of many a former awkward-kid-turned-smart-adult. The thing that hit me as I walked into my apartment tonight is this: when I was ten years old, I couldn't give a rats ass.

Sure, I knew that most kids played outside with other kids. I was just blissfully apathetic to my seclusion. My tonic for loneliness was George's Marvelous Medicine. My personal universe was an odd cross between Narnia and the Secret Garden. I read back-issues of the New Yorker for shits.

Today I killed the evening at the cafe, reading books by myself.
But, unlike my gradeschool self, I kept glancing over my shoulder waiting for a friend to show. When I went home it was dark, and I felt lonely. If I spend an evening alone these days, I find myself feeling like the last person on earth.

It's a tiny, terrified sort of feeling. Like the whole world ended while I was sleeping, and I've woken up to abandoned cars in a silent city.

My disproportionate fragility at twenty one reminds me of some puppies I've known.
Puppies can't handle it when they're left alone, because they have no concept of a return. They just think you're going to walk out the door and never come back.

I'd much rather be like my cat.
He gives a cursory glance at me when I walk through the door as if to say "you again?" then sidles up to me when he feels like it.

My cat and my ten-year-old self would get along fine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon. said...

This is good writing. I have some books to lend you (and some books to steal back)...our ten year old selves were pretty much the same. Does "The Giver" just not cut it any more for loneliness?

Ima go read some doug coupland.

2:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that new yorker cover is hung up in my hallway :)

-rick.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home