Monday, January 01, 2007

happy new year.



I realize that I'm not posting much. But then again, I'm not internetting much these days either. The computer is without a fan. And real life beckons me outside, or at least to my bookshelf more often these days. I swear I feel less dirty after killing an afternoon reading a book than after killing one watching Borat clips on Youtube for three hours...

I don't really like New Years. I find the whole holiday really pointless. A couple of weeks ago people started asking me what I was doing for New Years, and after thinking about it for a bit I said "I'll probably have something at my place." I then promptly forgot about it.

Then after I got back to town this week people started asking me about the party at my loft on New Years Eve. I sort of scratched my head at these people and said "oh yeah... uh lemme get back to you on the details..." and then scurried off to the comfort of an espresso.

Then at church yesterday morning I said "Hey everyone, there's a New Years Sucks party at my place tonight. Ten-ish. You don't have to kiss anyone at midnight if you don't want to. Bring whatever."

So. A party it was. I'm far too antisocial for parties by the way. Lord knows why I end up having them at my place. I usually end up hiding in my closet-office (hereafter known as the cloffice) in order to get some air. Or clinging to the four people in the room I know really well in order to minimize the awkwardness of the "Hi, how was your Christmas" conversation.

But in such situations, I buck up, grab mason jar of wine and play house. I pretend I'm a fifties housewife entertaining my husbands important business partners, so that he can seal the deal and by us a new stationwagon with even more wood panelling.

It works. The party went great.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shannon. said...

I really, really like the "playing house(wife) game at parties...you always make more friends. All that was missing was the prunes stuffed with peanut butter, wrapped with crisp bacon. Mmmm. "honey, it's pronounced "or- DURVES", not "Whores-doovrees"

7:38 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Your New Year's sounds kind of like mine was. Though thankfully our party was pretty low-key and stayed pretty small numbers-wise and it was all people I knew well... so I didn't have to pull the ol' "hiding in my room to regather my full strength" thing at all.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you call the no-drinking, no-smoking, no-kissing, with a generous heaping of lame or awkward conversation with christians great
then yeah
it was great
:P

2:07 PM  
Blogger .letting go said...

mean boy.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

anonymous just described a great party actually ;p

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you had a "New Years Sucks" party. :) tee hee. I think I would have fit in well. ;) But I wasn't in the city. So I couldn't come.
And you make a wonderful hostess (that's what it's called now-days my dearie) at parties. :) I think it might run in your family.
And I think you're wonderful.
-I'm not the same anonymous as the other one....so I'll be anonymous me!-

Luv,
-anonymous me!
p.s. Anonymous. Wow....that's a wierd sort of word. I mean, look at it! Anonymous. Wonder who made that one up!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home