Thursday, July 29, 2004

I can now truthfully say that I have gone sea kayaking - and I even liked it. 

So a bunch of us from work went kayaking in Deep Cove, which is this lovely ocean inlet surrounded by mountains and trees.

I didn't float out to sea, but my leg went comatose on me in the first twenty minutes or so. I couldn't MOVE it. I kept banging it on the bottom of the kayak to try and awaken it, but I couldn't even feel that. Then it got so asleep that I couldn't move my knee.
 
We were going to need to make an emergency stop so that I could un-numb my leg which had lost all feeling for at least twenty five minutes, so I just laid my leg out in the bottom of the boat. After about ten more minutes I felt the distinct, excruciating, welcome pain of pins and needles that signalled my leg regaining consciousness.

Once that was cleared up, kayaking was great.

Since it was sea kayaking, we got the benifet of looking at some sea creatures, mostly rather benign, brainless jellyfish, but also some more notable members of the animal kingdom. Over the course of our two hours on the water, three harbour seals swam over to check us out. Seals are big, their heads are about the size of footballs.  The seals were really neat though. I'm sincerely glad we didn't run into any of the killer whales that are often spotted around Deep Cove...
 
So, I'm becoming a regular outdoors sort of person. I actually enjoyed kayaking. I'd do it again! My gosh, what is B.C. doing to me?
 
Tomorrows athletic adventure?
 
Tennis, of all things.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home