Tuesday, March 07, 2006

all my classes and a hockey game.
Today was my Dad's birthday. I celebrated by eating white people food.

I got a near frantic phone call from my dear mother this morning saying
"Meaghan, I'm making roast beef for your father tonight. What can I make for you?"
"I dunno Mum, you've got veggies to go with right? I can just eat those."
"Yes, I can make your mashed potatoes with soymilk, your broccoli without cheese, and your carrots and corn and squash with margarine. But oh! You have no main course!"
"Well, I have the vegetables..."
"But the main course, Meaghan... and what about cake...?"

Eventually we decided that she'd make me some veggie burgers for me to eat with my vegetables. And I'd purchase a vegan brownie at the Planet for dessert. I forgot to bring the brownie, and mom was so perturbed at the thought of me being left out at dessert that she just kept refilling my wine glass during cake time. I ended up half soused.

I never get to eat white people food, like mashed potatoes. It just doesnt make a lot of sense when you're eating vegan to make a meat and potatoes kind of meal without the meat. Still, mom's cooking is good cooking. And she's a sweetheart for fussing over me so.

I followed the white people food by going to my brothers last game ofthe season. They won, the little rinkrats, and I nearly screamed out half my internal organs in the process. Mashed potatoes and rink coffee all in one day? I might need to go spray some patchouli oil to avert an identity crisis...

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon. said...

great post, dad told me all about it. shows down, too, i can breathe easy.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all the patchoulli in the world won't help you now girlie. you're one step away from buying a gm vehicle and entering a hockey pool.

ps. what's with our mutual newfound love for making patchoulli jokes?

- rick

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home