Sunday, March 19, 2006

it wasn't exactly a sermon.

I talked at Thirdspace this morning. Mostly I felt like reading and thinking about God. So I did. I read the last ten pages or so from Life After God, by Douglas Coupland.
Here is his secret... it is mine too.


Now--here is my secret:
I tell it to you with the openness of heart that I doubt I shall ever achieve again, so I pray that you are in a quiet room as you hear these words. My secret is that I need God--that I am sick and can no longer make it alone. I need God to help me give, because I no longer seem to be capable of giving; to help me be kind, as I no longer seem capable of kindness; to help me love, as I seem beyond being able to love.




If I was in a confessional, this is what I'd whisper.
If I had a postcard, this is what I'd write on it.
If I was backed into a corner and had to be honest, I'd say this more often.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me as well.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me 4

11:37 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Life After God by Douglas Copeland was the first book I read in High School that changed me. I thoroughly recommend it.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home