Sunday, July 24, 2005

an eventful close.

It really was an odd closing shift. I spent my first real chunk of time working bar. I got a couple of solid compliments on my drinks. I made a pretty double short cappucino with a heart, this heart was a little bit better than before, it had concentric circles around it. It's the design that is a step before a rosetta latte. I love making latte's.

My latte's, however, had nothing to do with my closing shift being eventful.

I actually dislike closing shifts. They are slow and have an hour and a half of cleaning on the tail end of them. Tonight was no different. I've only closed twice, so I was a little rusty. It was just me and my boss, Phil. We were working hard closing up when two of his good friends showed up, one of them unexpectedly back from indonesia. T'was a joyous reunion. The friends brought beer.

So Phil, laughing, clocked out and went to the kitchen and had a beer with his friends, planning on clocking in again after having one.

Phil is wonderful. He sings as he pours drinks, he has a vaguely british accent from growing up in South Africa, he is stupidly outgoing, he knows everybody's drink order, he bought me a beer present yesterday. He is without a doubt the best boss I have ever had.

Anyway, he started his second beer and realized it was going to be a longer close than he had previously thought. I was laughing, and sweeping the floors. I had to go through the kitchen to get the mop. As I passed, Phil waved me over. He says "Meaghan,' (the way he says it it sounds like 'mee-gun') 'do you drink alcohol?' and I replied that yes occasionally I do. 'Mee-gun,' he says, 'do you like beer?' I said sure I do. And he says 'Mee-gun, go clock yourself out and have a beer with us then, you and I will finish closing later'

And so it was that at seven o'clock tonight, I was leaning on my mop in the roasting co. kitchen, having a beer with my boss.

afterwards,
we clocked back in
and finished closing.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home