Wednesday, December 28, 2005

On Catherine the Cat, who has run off with my heart... and my incurable commitment issues.

I have accidentally fallen in love with a cat at the Lakefield humane society. This is a picture of her.

So now I'm thinking of adopting her... with the issues in mind of whether or not she will get along with Kitten, and with my own possibilities for travel in my young life dwindling more with each passing day. Dear commitment issues and wanderlust... quit plaguing me.

In the meantime as I type this my roommate is scoping out houses in Peterborough for us. I guess I'm getting used to the fact that I'm going to be in Peterborough for a long time... with distinct possibilities of permanency. Insert involuntary shudder here. I love Peterborough more than words. But the thought of a permanent residence ANYWHERE scares the shit out of me.

I am so transient. And my friends are still so transient. But I think my 'home' is more often found among a community of friends rather than a location... and my friends will move away. The thought of not having the possibility of buggering off if I get bored or if my friends all leave is scary. I don't want to be bound by anything... not a house or a job or a friend or a cat. But at the same time I'm coming to the realization that I must be bound if I wish to do much, like go to school, or work with kids, or forge deep relationships with the people in my life. I relinquish some of my freedom for these things. I just have a hard time convincing my heart that it's worth it. My friends pepper the globe at this point, and there's so much I want to do.


So, I'll sleep on the possibility of belonging to Catherine the Cat... and the prospect of the commitment and semi-permanency that seems to be creeping into my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home