Sunday, February 12, 2006

Five books that changed me.
I was walking down the bike path with Rick about an hour ago, and we got to talking about the books that have shaped us as individuals. I will post five of mine, as near to a 'top five' as I can. And here's the deal, you list your five (or three, or one) that changed you, in the comment section. Here we go, in chronological order.


Matilda, by Roald Dahl. (seven.)
When I read this, it not only opened my eyes to the joys of Roald Dahls books, it also revealed to me that there was something beyond what I was experiencing in my second grade classroom. Matilda is a young genius, who is stunted in an oppressive environment, both at home and at school. I loved Matilda for turning things upside down. I loved that she liked to learn.
I will always hope to be a Matilda.


The Little Prince, by Antoine de St. Exupery. (ten)
I have read and re-read this book since I was ten. I never move anywhere without a copy. The Little Prince taught me about taming people, and what is is to allow yourself to be tamed. I base how I love people around some things I have learned from the Little Prince and his Fox.

No Logo, by Naomi Klein. (fourteen)
This book single handedly made me realize that I have a personal responsibility in the world. My eyes were opened to my role as a consumer, the world as a market, and my role as an activist. I can point to this book as the first step in a genuine interest in radical politics.

The Bible. (fifteen)
Through reading this then and now, I learned and grew in a faith that I now live by. I learned Jesus within these pages, and I am changing still.

Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller. (seventeen)
This is a collection of thoughts on christian spirituality, that has given words to my own thoughts. I fell in love with how Miller wrote... with beauty and vulnerability, humour and no trace of pretense. I seek to be so honest.
I changed in that I began to see my spirituality as a journey rather than something I had to get right on the first try.


That's it guys. By no means a complete list. There are more recent reads which I think are working on me as I write this, but it's too early to see the changes that are taking place in my head and heart. So, tell me what's changed yours.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and you even have naomi klein, donald miller, and jesus's autographs!

-rick.

8:36 AM  
Blogger jmw said...

Guess I'm the firstest to postest.
"Christian Set Yourself Free"- The image and reality of Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Satan is still painted to vividly as to how BIG God and how small satan is in comparison to the Creator. My authority as a Daughter of the King and child of grace has been reinforced through reading this. This book really is what's set me on fire and encouraged me to pursue my relationship with GOD!
"Purpose-Driven Life"- I look today through the eyes that my life and every life has purpose. It is all about God. Not about me.
"The Quest"- this has just opened my eyes to seeing the world spiritually as of now days and how it looks within the spiritual realm. Painted the reality of our faith and how it looks with those following God.
"The Bible"- my daily bread.
"Run Baby Run"- through Nicky's life I've been brought into the treachury of gang life and I've been dragged into the hopelessness with him. I've been raised up in the hope he has received through Jesus Christ and the MIRACOULOUS change happened in his life.
It's hard to say what has been the top 5-est of them all, there's been a lot of good books. These are the ones I've loved reading and they have definately changed me. They opened my eyes and I am the way I am cuz I've read em. There's more books I know but these came first to mind so, there ya go.
Don't think you wanted a description of why those books were special to us do you?

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...way to spring this on me! Um...books that have changed me....Hm. By the way, I really should be working on homework, and here I am very effectively procrastinating. Hm. But it's hard to think of 5 books that have changed me right off the bat! Hm.
ok...so I know one for sure, and that's the Bible. I have grown up with it, and learned more and more from it, and there is still so much I am learning from it now. I think I'd say it's a book that I will never fully have learned all the things that should be learned from it. No matter how long I study and keep reading it. But I love Jesus! :)
Hm...Anne of Green Gables (Lucy Maud Montgomery). I always felt I didn't fit in. And she didn't really either. I love the way she talks, and dares to say what other people think, but don't say. I love that she doesn't appologise for being herself. And that is some things I want to be able to do.
Um...I want to say the Balloon Tree (Pheobe Gilman), but I'm not sure if it's a valid one...and I didn't read it the first time when I was really little either...but I love it, and actually asked for it for my eighteenth birthday...and got it too! I love it. It makes me want to forever be a child.
Um...The Five Love Languages (somebody Chapman I think). This book really opened my eyes to how people percieve and give love. And also gave me a way to learn to love people more effectively. I have learned more love languages because of it, and I feel that I am "bilingual" or "multilingual" in love. And if you've never read or heard of the book, you have no idea what I'm talking about. But it's a good book. You should read it. And it doesn't mean only in "special relationships". I apply it to life in general.
um....I also want to say Cinderella, but i'm not sure I can. It was my favorite story as a child, and I still love it. I guess I kinda related to Cinderella. I know, my life wasn't as hard as hers, but when I was young, I didn't see that. And it gives me hope that someday I can be somebody. And someday I will be loved.
Wow. So I feel like I've totally shared a lot about myself, and I feel a little vulnerable, so I'm tempted not to post this comment...but, I think it's cool to think about books that changed you, so I think I'll post it anyway....but I won't say who I am. That way I can feel like I didn't totally shared a glimpse into my soul with whoever happens to read this, 'cause even though I did, they don't know who I am! :)
God bless you, and take Meaghan's challenge! List a couple books that changed you! it's a good exercise!

1:37 PM  
Blogger shine.is.dead said...

1.Down the Plughole (Author unknown) Age 10:

It's about a guy being flushed down his own toilet and going through the sewage treatment system. It's meant to train about sanitation, but it's so funny! I must've signed it out 6-10 times in my grade 4 year

2. The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien, age 12:

The first "real" book I read. Not really a fan anymore, Tolkien totally plagiarized Beowulf.

3. The Bible, age 17:

Still the most influential book ever (duh!) I've read this over and over for five years and I still haven't scratched the surface.

4. T. S. Eliot, Selected Poems, age 19:

The reason I love poetry.

5. Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller, age 21:

The reason I rethought my faith and came out stronger. Read it in one afternoon

4:11 PM  
Blogger shine.is.dead said...

Oh yeah, Everything that Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor, age 18:

The reason I love to write

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home