Tuesday, April 04, 2006

the part where you said amen? say it again.


I remember my Dad trying to teach my sister and I how to pray.
We were four and my sister and I cast uncomfortable glances at each other with our elbows on our itchy pink bedspreads and our knees on the carpet. My Dad didn't know how to teach us to pray, but I guess somewhere in him, where the church was still in the boy, he felt that he had to.

We had no interest in prayer. It was awkward, uncomfortable. It was also very foreign.
We didn't attend church and were unaware of any basic biblical teaching. To complicate the lesson, my dad wouldn't get on his knees and pray beside us. It was too much for him. So he would just tell us what to do and watch from the chair by the beds.

I guess the wierdest part of it was that although my dad was personally uncomfortable with prayer, and had no prayer time himself, he felt it necessary to at least attempt to instill the value of prayer in his children. It's a little sad really. I wonder what my dad was thinking when he saw my sister and I squirm with awkwardness, and fumble over 'Thou".

I don't know, my dad doesn't talk about that sort of thing. But he'd given up trying to teach prayer by the time my younger brother Andrew was old enough to try.
So the three of us, years later, gropingly stumbled across faith on our own.


1 Comments:

Blogger Mmm said...

I'm glad that didn't turn you off. I can never figure out why parents send thier kids to sunday school when they don't go, or have them pray, if they don't. What sort of a mesage is that? Unfortunately the church is full or empty religion and prgrammes but what we desperately need is a very real move of God, as evidenced by people who actually care about their wGod's call to genuinees sand holiness, above one's own fun and entertainment even, finding the centre of one's being in serving Him. May we all grow in that regard. He is so worth it.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home