Sunday, October 24, 2004

chocolate milk, chick flicks, strokes and Jesus...

Yet another sunday brings us together. I just got back from a potluck dinner at Kaye and George's church. Chris from Poland was in the mix, between us we ate enough to last for the next three days I'm sure.

Kaye and George's church is old, it is a seniors congregation with a very traditional service. I became acutely aware of the oldness of this congregation tonight at dinner, when a man at a nearby table had a stroke. The fact that the guy keeled over with a stroke isn't really all that suprising to me, what got to me was the reaction of this congregation. They remained completely calm and natural, called the hospital and the man was taken out without a whole lot of ceremony. The evening went on relatively smoothly.

The members of the church weren't suprised or all that frightened of death, strokes or ambulances. They prayed briefly for the man, and went on with dessert.

What scares me is that at some point, I will be that comfortable and that accustomed to death.

So we sang some hymns and after went to George and Kayes's for some mate.

Currently I am ruminating over a chick flick I saw today on 'Da's laptop, 'Ever After'. Nothing much to ruminate over really... chick flicks have no substance, so why do I love them so? It like having an affinity for eating cardboard... or sugar coated cardboard... I should be an entrepreneur.





...Currently: blowing bubbles in my chocolate milk and wondering about the Son of God...





1 Comments:

Blogger blondel said...

one sunday, a lady in the same pew started having a heart attack.. same deal. old people, calm. like this has happened before. myself, i feel comfortable with situations i have experienced before. making breakfast or putting a stamp on a letter. hearts not working, i'm not familiar and/or comfortable with that.

the church service didn't miss a beat, even when the paramedics arrived and wheeled the lady out. i'm sure i would have been more freaked out, but there was a doctor one pew back.. that was good.

she recovered.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home