Sunday, December 26, 2004

.boxing day.

I just passed what could be described as one of the most normal boxing day/christmas's that the Culkeen clan has ever celebrated. Hung out with my little cousins, man those kids get cooler every year. The festivities were at my uncle Pat's house, big enough, but renting a hall is a much less cramped way to do things I find.

I got some decent presents, which at face value sounds stupid, but it meant a lot to me.
I realized a couple of days ago that I've sort of come to dread the gift part of the clan celebration. Over the past few years many of the gifts we've recieved have been ridiculous, I mean, not involving thought and not showing any knowledge of my likes/dislikes/tastes/AGE, etc. I'd rather not get presents at all. At least then I wouldn't have a tangible reminder that many of my relatives don't know me all that well... I also wouldn't have this nagging dread that they don't care enough to find out what I'd actually enjoy for christmas ... but like I said, I got good, thoughtful, likable and mostly practical gifts from the extended fam this year.

Practical is a bit of a novelty. I actually NEED stuff this year. The fam has provided. Mainly with at LEAST sixty dollars worth of calling cards from assorted aunts and uncles, (rob will be so pleased) as well as lots of care package type stuff, waaaaay too much tea (laura will be so pleased) and lots of emergency chocolate (the lifehouse will be pleased indeed).

what fun.

So I'm chilling in the big smoke with Aunt Terry and the fam until tuesday. Then it's back to the patch until sunday morning. I miss Vancouver and the lifeteamers... sigh, I fear that I am a soul who is doomed to be homesick no matter where I am even if it is 'home'.

It reminds me of the little prince's fox...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home