Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Oui, mon pere, il sait tout.

I just got home from playing at the Treehouse Cafe. Man, I sure like playing at the Treehouse. There was a lot of people there to see me, from home and work and whatnot. I've got a little following now. It's funny, I'm sort of a gimmick artist I guess. I storytell before each song and then sing a song with it. I do a few songs each night, there's generally a more serious song bookended by a couple of funny ones. People like it. I like it too. It's very relaxing. I can go up there and be myself and just unwind after work. I guess I'm more of an entertainer than a musician, because really, my guitar playing isn't very good, but it's enough to get me by.

So tonight I played three songs, the first was called 'Oui mon pere, il sait tout' Or, 'Yes my father, he knows everything'. It's about how when I was four I was convinced that my dad really did know everything. He had an answer for almost all of my questions. I remembered a time when I was about four, sitting in the back of the old chev, with dad. I had been asking him questions all afternoon and I was finally sure that I had one that he could not possibly know the answer to. I swung my legs and piped,

'Daddy, what was the name of the very very very very first man ever?'

Dad paused and replied with certainty, 'his name was Adam'.

I thought to myself, 'How could he know that?' I had no knowledge of the biblical concept of creation, Garden of Eden style. So at that moment my father was crystalized as the worlds smartest man.

So I told that story, and another about how my father used to say gar-bage in a french accent. As a result of this, at the age of five I thought my father to be a great speaker of French.
So I sang this song in french, about my view of my father at the age of four. I laughed a lot during it, and everyone was having a good time. The chorus went:

'Oh, Oui mon pere il sait tout
I'l sait tout qu'un homme
peut sait
Et si il y a quelque'un ici qui pense ce que
ca ce n'est pas le verite
mon je casserai son nez
oh la la, la la, la la .'

yes my father, he knows everything
he knows all that a man
can know
And if there is anyone here who thinks
that that's not the truth
I'll break their nose
oh, la la, la la , la la

ah well. What fun. I also sang a song about a biker gang member who just loved soy chai lattes. And a soft song about home, called 'Porchlights'. Good times had by all.

Cheers. I'm tired and hungry. So to kitchen and then to bed. lates.




2 Comments:

Blogger shine.is.dead said...

I love you.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Shannon. said...

I love her too. i fact, as I read the post, I thought. "oh, meaghan, she is so cool. i will tell her I love her. Only to see that dear noah had told her the same. I love you too noah.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home