Friday, January 06, 2006

to be grateful. I'm thinking about today, and I am grateful.

I was at the university today to try and get my student loans in order and it wasn't nearly enough money to even cover my rent. I was upset. So I stormed out of there angry, and then on the path five angry minutes later, I slipped on some ice and fell on my ass.
I looked, and my hand had an inch and a half long cut in the palm that was bleeding profusely. Suddenly everything clicked a little. While I got my hand bandaged up I realized that I am one of the richest people on this planet. I am grateful for that, and for the Chaplin-esque reality check I was unceremoniously granted.

I made chili today. The chili was good. I bought the ingredients and made it with my own two hands. The kids at the youth centre who ate it were nourished by it. We just ended up sitting and eating supper together because we were all hungry. Thank God I have food, and that these kids and I have a chance to connect over soup and bread. I am grateful have the means and the strength to make good food.

Today I thought about change, and protest. I attempted to read a book that disturbs me. I raged inwardly over pain. I sinned. I repented. I sinned again. I tried to change the world a little. I am grateful that I can rage. I thank God that I struggle.

I prayed for someone today and then something good happened. I am grateful that prayer changes things.

Guys, we can laugh and bleed and hurt and be angry. We can grieve and love and eat. We can fight and breathe and kiss and gnash our teeth. We can experience things that are so damn beautiful that they hurt. I want to teach every person on this planet to say 'thanks'. I want to shake every person who ever walked through a day without thinking.


These are my thoughts this morning. This is my thanks.


Amen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannon. said...

big thoughts.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

your blog is one of my favorites

i hope that means something

but if not

your blog is very good

12:49 AM  
Blogger Stevie B said...

I like this entry. It touched on something in my life regarding finances. I'd been getting nervous about not having enough to return to the country I'm called to, and how I don't have steady employment and need something like last week, how expensive gas suddenly got when I need more of it in the winter, not less...

But yet, I have plenty, a LOT more than over half of the world. I must keep these things in mind and see how grateful I should be.

Thanks for either the thorn in my flesh or the reality check.

Steve

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home