Wednesday, February 15, 2006

a whole beer coupon?

Last night marks the first time I have ever played in a real gig. I've performed a lot. Just mostly coffeehouses and open mics and such. I had a twenty minute set, and I even got to play third (!) Even though I was the rookie on board.

The lineup was Jill Stavely, Jordan Mack (who slurred during my introduction that he didn't know who I was, and that my name sounded like cocaine. I didn't mind), me, James Kent and the Clarks, The Sweet Homewreckers and the Unionist Ministers. Heck yes.
I stuck to more raucous sorts of tunes because I refused to be THAT girl singing sad songs with a guitar in a bar on Valentines day. Here's my setlist:

-Just a regular guy - affectionately referred to as 'the soy chai latte song'. I wrote it this summer to tell the story of a regular at the cafe... he was a Hells Angels biker... and he ordered soy chai lattes with extra foam and sprinkles.

- Adam - a french song, about how when I was four I thought my dad knew everything. The chorus includes a threat to anyone in the bar who might have disputed the fact with my four year old self... that I'd break their noses ;)

- It's Hard to be a Vegan... - I wrote this song yesterday. Rick played guitar like a rockstar, because a) he's better and b) because I needed to focus solely on proclaiming the revolution. The song describes all the places where it's... hard to be a vegan. It sounds like a drinking song. A vegan drinking song.

- I have a theory - a jazz jam that I modified yesterday to talk about how love involves going to family reunions and washing socks and talking politics with great grand relatives. I have a theory that there's more to this love thing than roses...

That's it. That was my set. I belted it out and pretended that I was a rockstar. The Red Dog was packed out, lots of my friends were there (and my parents even!) and it was a good show all night long. For this adventure I have recieved fifteen bucks payment. I'm not sure whether to frame it or spend it.
;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too (would love to hear those songs)... And Meag? If it were me, I'd want to frame it...or if I used it, I would at least get something that would be sentimentally important to remembering the occassion. Yeah. I think that'd likely be what I'd do. Spend it on something sentimental. But hey! I'm a sentimental sort of gal! :)
-Jolene
(L)(L)(L)

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was fun to rock wit u gurl.

- rick.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home