Wednesday, August 17, 2005

dharma bums.

I see them all the time. Barefoot travellers with the 'om' tattooed on their foreheads, twentysomethings that look like they're starving in red robes...

The other day though, I had quite the encounter with one. I saw him from a ways off, waiting patiently in line. His dreads were tied into a bun and his face tanned from not having a roof to hide under. He waited in line and when he finally got to me he ordered a mate.

I always like serving these travellers. If I have a break coming up it's good to listen to their stories. So I got the mate, made it right and smiled as I handed it to him. He had been staring at me with this odd wonder for our entire encounter. He hadn't said much, just stared like a three year old looking at a christmas tree. I didn't get it, but these guys are a little odd to begin with so I made no comment.

I gave the guy his change, he takes it without breaking this awed eye contact. Finally looks at the change in his palm, pauses, then simply presses his palms together and bows in a deep 'Namaste' in the middle of the cafe.

Then he went on his way, I haven't seen him since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home